How to water succulents
Succulents are a variety of plants that differ from the rest by absorbing large amounts of water and storing it in their roots, leaves, or stems to stay hydrated during the dry season. For that reason, they are one of the easiest plants to maintain and a favorite in many types of climates.
The appearance of its leaves and stem is what will denote the amount of water they need. You should water them if you see that they are dry. Its irrigation is of the utmost importance, since if it is done in excess, it could kill the plant. On this occasion, we will tell you how to water succulents to give them the best possible care.
When to water succulent plants
To know how often to water succulents, it is important that you observe and pay attention to them every day. Succulents can preserve water inside, so it is not necessary to water them every day.
A general rule that you can follow to know when to water your succulents is to see if the soil is dry. Stick a wooden stick or stick your finger into the soil to feel for moisture in the soil. If it’s completely dry, it’s time to water your succulents.
Succulents will need a greater or lesser amount of water depending on where they are. If they are in a place with high humidity, it will not be necessary to water them very often.
In any case, it is good to water the succulents every 3 or 4 days. You should have them planted in pots with holes so that the water drains more easily. If you have indoor succulents, you may need to water them more often.
How to water succulent plants correctly
Although they can last a long time without watering them, succulents will grow with large and strong roots if we give them the right amount of water for their development. To water succulents correctly, keep these tips in mind:
- Water the succulent until the soil is completely soaked.
- Wait for the soil to dry out completely before watering again.
- Do not flood the soil, an excessive amount of water can cause lethal damage to the plant.
- During the dry season, succulents develop new roots. These will be healthy and thick enough to store water for longer.
How to water cacti
Cacti are watered in the same way as succulents. The best way to water them is with rainwater, although you can also do it with tap water. However, if the pH of the water is high, it is necessary to let the plant rest for a day, so that the metals are concentrated under the container.
These types of plants are found in extremely hot climates, which is why it is important to water them 1 or 2 times a week. If it is a small cactus that is in its plastic pot, you can add water to it daily, since this type of container does not concentrate moisture.
If the plant is in the garden or in a clay pot, it can be watered every 7 to 10 days during the summer.
Mistakes when watering succulents – avoid them!
Mistakes are often made when watering succulents. Serious blunders in watering these types of plants can cause illness or death. For this reason, it is important that you avoid the following errors:
- Using a sprayer or mister: Many people tend to water succulents with a sprayer to use less water, however this method will harm root growth.
- Using unsuitable soil: it is important to plant succulents in dry soil, otherwise, they could die shortly after being planted. Discover How to plant succulents correctly by clicking on the link.
- Excessive use of fertilizer: after having watered the plant, it is important not to use large amounts of fertilizer, because they make it impossible for the flowers to grow, as well as some roots in the case of cacti.
- Use pots without a drainage hole: when closed pots are used, the soil is not properly oxygenated and this causes complications when watering succulents. For this reason, the use of ceramic or clay pots is recommended, since they favor the concentration of nutrients.
Plants help us beautify the house and the way in which you water them will be essential to extend their life. Succulents give a lot of life to the home and you can have more than one because they are very easy to care for. We explain how to reproduce succulents so that you can fill your garden or home with their shapes and colors.